a sea of opportunities

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Jan 26, 2019.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    In Dutch we have een zee aan (a sea of) possibilities/ opportunities. Do you have a similar 'watery' expression referring to some kind of some kind of plenitude?

I had thought of carpooling as using the plenitude/ mass/ great quantity of cars already driving on the road, or so I'd explain it (corrections welcome of course), but that turned out to be wrong: pool here refers to poule in French, so I noticed. But OK, how about 'watery' words for this plenitude?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  2. AndrasBP

AndrasBP Senior Member

Budapest, Hungary
    Hungarian
    In Hungarian, "a sea of opportunities" is a common collocation:

tengernyi lehetőség

tenger = sea
    -nyi = quantitative suffix
    lehetőség = opportunity, possibility

3. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    We can view the topic a little broader too… I have been wondering about about waves (a wave of, een golf aan), and guess it is an example indeed. I quote Wikipedia: A wave of shoppers stampeded through the door... "A wave" here is "a sudden unusual amount of". So again some water phenomenon offering plenty of things, though not always the best...

4. Perseas Senior Member

Greece
    Greek
    Greek:
    μια θάλασσα από Χ -- a sea of X
    [mɲa 'θalasa a'po]

Although this expression is not so widespread in my opinion, it exists.
    H Aθήνα φαινόταν τη νύχτα από το αεροπλάνο σαν μια θάλασσα από φώτα.
    Athens seemed at night from the plane like a sea of lights.
    Entry no 5.

5. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    How about waves in Greek, Apmoy?

6. bibax Senior Member

Czechlands
    Czech (Prague)
    Czech:

moře + gen. plur. (= a sea of ...s) in the sense 'plenty of' is relatively common, although it sounds somewhat expressive:

Mám moře času. = I have plenty of time (a sea of time).
    Nadělal moře chyb. = He made a lot of mistakes (a sea of mistakes).
    Mám moře práce. = I am very busy (I have a sea of work).
    K tomu je třeba moře odvahy. = It takes a lot of courage (a sea of courage).
    This would be an interesting combination:
    V moři je moře ryb. :) = Fish is plentiful in the sea (in the sea there is a sea of fish).

vlna něčeho = a wave of sth (the term wave was already generalized in physics: a manifestation of an energy pervading a medium or space).

In the sense 'a sudden unusual amount of', we use the noun vlna, often in connection with the verb zaplaviti (= to flood, to inundate):

vlna
    veder udeřila ...
    = a wave of heat (a wave of sultry weather) hit ...;
    Její mysl zaplavila vlna radosti. = A wave of joy has flooded her mind.
    Město zaplavila vlna zločinnosti. = The city was (has been) flooded with a crime vawe.

7. AndrasBP

AndrasBP Senior Member

Budapest, Hungary
    Hungarian
    "Sea of opportunities" is used in Lithuanian as well:

galimybių jūra

galimybių = plural genitive of "galimybė" (opportunity)
    jūra = sea

8. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Interesting expressions. As far as I can see though, seas are not that dangerous with us… ;-)

9. Circunflejo Senior Member

Castellano de Castilla
    In Spanish, I guess that a mares fits here. Llueve a mares=It rains a lot (in a short time).

That meaning also exists for Spanish ola.

10. Perseas Senior Member

Greece
    Greek
    I am not Apmoy, but I could also write something :)

"Κύμα" ['cima] (=wave) is used figuratively also in Greek to denote "a sudden unusual amount of". Specifically:

-For feelings that swell and overwhelm the soul like a wave: Ένιωσε ένα κύμα οργής (He felt a flash of anger)
    -For natural phenomena of high intensity and of limited duration: Κύμα καύσωνα/ψύχους (Heat/Cold wave)
    -For a social or moral phenomenon, usually negative, which occurs to a large extent: Κύμα βίας (Wave of violence)
    -For group (and in segments) movements of people:Έφτασαν τα πρώτα κύματα των τουριστών (The first waves of tourists arrived).

11. Yendred Senior Member

Paris
    Français - France
    In French, to express this meaning, we use "un océan de ...." (an ocean of...) but not "une mer de..." (a sea of...)

12. merquiades

merquiades Senior Member

Lorraine in France
    English (US Northeast)
    "A world of opportunities" in English

With sea
    "A sea of knowledge"
    "A sea of words"
    "A sea of blue, red, white, green"
    "A sea of people"

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  13. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    INteresting variations in French (the ocean is too far for us, I suppose) and English (had not thought of that variation...).

So maybe we could conclude that Greek prefers waves as a metaphor for plenitude, mass, ..., not really sea or something the like...

14. Perseas Senior Member

Greece
    Greek
    I would say, yes. Although there can be used sometimes other elements as well, such as "ωκεανός" (ocean), "χείμαρρος" (torrent, stream), "τσουνάμι" (tsunami). The last two linked with intensity.

15. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Torrent and tsunami are uncommon in Dutch, I believe. Is "tsunami" a recently introduced expression?

16. AndrasBP

AndrasBP Senior Member

Budapest, Hungary
    Hungarian
    "Turistaáradat" and "emberáradat" are two common Hungarian compounds, literally "a flood of tourists" and "a flood of people".

17. Perseas Senior Member

Greece
    Greek
    I believe, yes. Eg. "τσουνάμι εξελίξεων" ("tsunami of developments"), "τσουνάμι αποκαλύψεων" ("tsunami of revelations").

In Greek:
    "Κοσμοπλημμύρα" [kozmopli'mira]
    Κόσμος=people
    Πλημμύρα=flood.

18. Armas Senior Member

Finnish
    In Finnish it's usually a compound word and there are only some words that are commonly used, like kukkameri (a sea of flowers), ihmismeri (a sea of people), valomeri (a sea of lights) and a few others. Tulva (flood) and aalto (wave) are also used like in many languages already described above.