a semicolon before then?

High on grammar

Farsi
Hello everyone:

Is it okay to use a semicolon before “then”?
I was going to enjoy the quite of the pool area; then my neighbor cranked up the lawnmower and ruined everything.

Source: myself

I know I can use a full stop or period: I was going to enjoy the quite of the pool area .Then my neighbor cranked up the lawnmower and ruined everything.

But I want to know if a semicolon works as well.

Thanks

• owlman5

English-US
    The semicolon is okay, but I don't think it's any better than using a period after "area."

In this kind of sentence, the semicolon is a replacement for a coordinating conjunction and a comma: I was going to enjoy the quite of the pool area, but then my neighbor cranked up the lawnmower and ruined everything. = I was going to enjoy the quiet of the pool area; then my neighbor cranked up the lawnmower and ruined everything.

Last edited:

High on grammar

Farsi
    The semicolon is okay, but I don't think it's any better than using a period after "area."

In this kind of sentence, the semicolon is a replacement for a coordinating conjunction and a comma: I was going to enjoy the quite of the pool area, but then my neighbor cranked up the lawnmower and ruined everything. = I was going to enjoy the quiet of the pool area; then my neighbor cranked up the lawnmower and ruined everything.
    Thanks

< Previous | Next >