(a) senior partner

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
News:
-- Just one hour ago, as the markets were opening, two partners at Capt Villiers Holdings were shot at the troubled company's headquarters. Senior partner Laura Maller died on site and analyst Albert Bernad is in critical condition. Jeffrey Desange, also senior partner, was in the office at the time of the shooting and has now gone missing.
Mama, movie

This doesn't seem to be a unique role or position to be used with zero article. Shouldn't it to be " Jeffrey Desange, also a senior partner,"?
Thank you.

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    This doesn't seem to be a unique role or position to be used with zero article.
    Thank you.
    But it is - and this is an example:D It's like Vice President in a company that has lots of VP's each heading a different division or similar. It could also be used with "a" in the second case- you live and learn, am I right?:D

Last edited:

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    I'd be inclined to agree with you (Vik) that it could be used with "a", but not that it necessarily should. For both Laura and Jeffrey I see "senior partner" as a designation or job title.
    Suppose it had been a military establishment, and military ranks had been used:

Two senior staff at the barracks were shot. Colonel Laura Maller died on site and Major Albert Bernard is critical. Jeffrey Desange, also colonel, was in the building at the time, but has now gone missing.

Would you have insisted on "also a colonel"?

(crossposted with JS)

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Suppose it had been a military establishment, and military ranks had been used:

Two senior staff at the barracks were shot. Colonel Laura Maller died on site and Major Albert Bernard is critical. Jeffrey Desange, also colonel, was in the building at the time, but has now gone missing.

Would you have insisted on "also a colonel"?
    I certainly would.

< Previous | Next >