A sentence from a book

korosul

bosnia bosnian
The media campaign to make US public opinion believe that by international law the US was allowed to send troops to Cuba intensiified.
I took this sentence from a recently published book. I have doubts if it is written in immaculate english because the main verb of the sentence is put on its end. Is this grammatically correct or not?
Thank you

• nmuscatine

English, USA
    This sentence is grammatically correct.
    It consists of a subject followed by a verb.
    The subject of the sentence is "The media campaign to make US public opinion believe that by international law the US was allowed to send troops to Cuba." I understand that this was confusing because it is so long.
    The verb that follows the subject is "intensified."
    If you already knew what the media campaign was, you could say "The media campaign intensified."
    Does that make sense to you?

korosul

bosnia bosnian
    It makes sense to me but I wonder if you use such a long subject it is possible that one forgets what intensifies reffers to.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    korosul said:
    It makes sense to me but I wonder if you use such a long subject it is possible that one forgets what intensifies refers to.
    Exactly my feeling. It would have been better not to use such a long sentence. This one is made more difficult by the number of verbs dotted through the sentence between campaign and intensified

The media campaign to make US public opinion believe that by international law the US was allowed ... to send troops to Cuba intensiified.

Kelly B

USA English
    To me, the sentence proves that a sentence may be both grammatically correct and poorly written.

On second thought, I don't like the expression that public opinion can be made to believe something. The public can believe something; public opinion may swayed or influenced.