A sentence made of homophones (Antanaclasis)

Uncreative Name

English - United States
In English, there are a few sentences you can form out of homophones, such as "Will, will Will will Will Will's will?" or "Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo." I've also heard of a poem written in Mandarin, where every word is pronounced "shi" (with varying tonality).

Are there more equivalents to this in other languages?

EDIT: I found out that this is called Antanaclasis.

Last edited:
  • Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    I have devised many for my first language of Cymraeg/Welsh.

Not yet completed my longest one, but I suspect it will run to over 80 'bach' - as this can mean small (adj.), hook (n.), Johann Sebastian (n.), the act of giving a pet a stroke (vn.)

There are others which approach the ideal as in:

Dad: Da 'dy dy dŷ du di a da 'dy de du di, 'de, Dei?
    Dei: Da di 'di dda di, da 'di dei du a da 'di dy dda-da du, 'de, Dadi?

(Dad: Your black house and your black tea are good, aren't they, Dei?
    Dei: Your livestock is good, your black tie and your black sweets are good, aren't they, Daddy?)

Gwn am gŵyn am wn gwyn Gwyn, ŵyn gwyn Gwyn a chwyn Gwyn.
    Ni wn am gŵyn am ŵn na chŵyn am gwyn na chŵyn am Gwyn.

(I know about a complaint about Gwyn's white gun, Gwyn's white lambs and Gwyn's weeds.
    I don't know about a complaint about a gown nor a complaint about a complaint nor a complaint about Gwyn.)

More later ...

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Gŵyr gwŷr Gŵyr y gwir am ŵyr Gwŷr Gŵyr, gwŷr Gŵyr, Gŵyr a'r gwir.
    Ond ni ŵyr ŵyr gwŷr Gŵyr y gwir am ŵyr Gwŷr Gŵyr, gwŷr Gŵyr, Gŵyr na'r gwir.

(The men of Gower know the truth about the grandson of the men of Gower, the men of Gower, Gower and the truth.
    But the grandson of the men of Gower doesn't know the truth about the grandson of the men of Gower, the men of Gower, Gower nor the truth.)

Mae gen i ŵydd fy mod i yng ngŵydd y canlynol: gŵydd, gŵydd, gŵydd a gŵydd gŵydd a gwŷdd, gŵydd gwŷdd, gwŷdd a gwŷdd.

(I have knowledge that I am in the presence of the following: a goose, a simpleton and an uncultivated grave and a weaver, some overgrown trees, a plough and a loom.)

Last edited:

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Ai A.I. a'i ai A.I. âi i Ai, ynteu ai ai A.I. A.I. âi i Ai?

(Was it A.I. and his A.I. ai who would go to Ai, or was it A.I.'s A.I. ai who would go to Ai?)

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    I think I have my ultimate:

bach bach bach Bach bach bach, bach bach bach Bach bach bach, bach bach Bach bach bach, bach bach Bach bach bach, bach Bach bach bach, bach Bach bach bach a Bach bach bach.
    (Very little Bach's very little hook, very little Bach's very little caress of a pet, very little Bach's little hook, very little Bach's little caress of a pet, very little Bach's hook, very little Bach's caress of a pet and very little Bach.)

Bach bach bach Bach bach, bach bach bach Bach bach, bach bach Bach bach, bach bach Bach bach, bach Bach bach, bach Bach bach a Bach bach.

(Little Bach's very little hook, little Bach's very little caress of a pet, little Bach's little hook, little Bach's little caress of a pet, little Bach's hook, little Bach's caress of a pet and little Bach.)

Bach bach bach Bach, bach bach bach Bach, bach bach Bach, bach bach Bach, bach Bach, bach Bach a Bach.

(Bach's very little hook, Bach's very little caress of a pet, Bach's little hook, Bach's little caress of a pet, Bach's hook, Bach's caress of a pet and Bach.)

So, in summary - deep breath:

Bach bach bach Bach bach bach, bach bach bach Bach bach bach, bach bach Bach bach bach, bach bach Bach bach bach, bach Bach bach bach, bach Bach bach bach a Bach bach bach. Bach bach bach Bach bach, bach bach bach Bach bach, bach bach Bach bach, bach bach Bach bach, bach Bach bach, bach Bach bach a Bach bach. Bach bach bach Bach, bach bach bach Bach, bach bach Bach, bach bach Bach, bach Bach, bach Bach a Bach.

Welsh_Sion

Welsh - Northern
    Dan dan don? Na, Don dan don.
    Don dan don? Ie, Don dan don.
    Don dan Dan? Na, Dan dan Don.
    Dan dan Don? Ie, Dan dan Don.

(Is it Dan under a wave? No, it's Don under a wave.
    Is it Don under a wave? Yes, it's Don under a wave.
    Is it Don under Dan? No, it's Dan under Don.
    Is it Dan under Don? Yes, it's Dan under Don.)

Awwal12

Russian
    A sentence consisting of more than two homophones is problematic in Russian, mostly because it's increasingly difficult to find a verbal form homophonous to several other words, or full forms of adjectives satisfying the same criteria. So if you want to include more homophones you basically must also include other words, like in kosíl kosóy kosóy kosóy ("a hare/cross-eyed man/wall-eyed man was mowing with a crooked scythe").

alfaalfa

italiano
    Ciao,
    I've also heard of a poem written in Mandarin, where every word is pronounced "shi" (with varying tonality) :thumbsup:

Lion-Eating Poet in the Stone Den

Bach bach bach Bach bach bach, bach bach bach Bach bach bach, bach bach Bach bach bach, bach bach Bach bach bach, bach Bach bach bach, bach Bach bach bach a Bach bach bach. Bach bach bach Bach bach, bach bach bach Bach bach, bach bach Bach bach, bach bach Bach bach, bach Bach bach, bach Bach bach a Bach bach. Bach bach bach Bach, bach bach bach Bach, bach bach Bach, bach bach Bach, bach Bach, bach Bach a Bach.
    keep-calm-and-say-bach.png
    keep-calm-and-say-bach.png

Shengmen

Chinese - Xiang & Mandarin
    In Chinese there are two very famous passages composed by the linguist (among his many titles) Zhao Yuanren (赵元任). The entire passages are composed of homophones (though the words are different in tone; anyway, there are still sentences in which even the tones of the characters are the same). They are meant to show how many homophones there are in Chinese, thus an entire romanisation of Chinese orthography is rather implausible.

Passage 1: 《季姬击鸡记》
    季姬寂,集鸡,鸡即棘鸡。棘鸡饥叽,季姬及箕稷济鸡。鸡既济,跻姬笈,季姬忌,急咭鸡,鸡急,继圾几,季姬急,即籍箕击鸡,箕疾击几伎,伎即齑,鸡叽集几基,季姬急极屐击鸡,鸡既殛,季姬激,即记《季姬击鸡记》。

Jì jī jì, jí jī, jī jí jí jī. Jí jī jī jī, jì jījíjī jì jì jī. Jī jì jì, jī jī jí, jì jī jì, jí jī jī, jī jí, jì jī jǐ, jì jī jí, jí jí jī jī jī, jī jí jī jǐ jì, jì jí jī, jī jī jí jǐ jī, jì jī jí jí jī jī jī, jī jì jí, jì jī jī, jí jì “jì jī jī jī jì”.

There are English annotations and translations here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Chinese/comments/3tasdo

Passage 2: 《施氏食狮史》
    石室诗士施氏,嗜狮,誓食十狮。施氏时时适市视狮。十时,适十狮适市。是时,适施氏适市。氏视是十狮,恃矢势,使是十狮逝世。氏拾是十狮尸,适石室。石室湿,氏使侍拭石室。石室拭,氏始试食是十狮。食时,始识是十狮,实十石狮尸。试释是事。

Shíshì shī shì shī shì, shì shī, shì shíshíshī. Shī shì shí shíshìshì shì shī. Shí shí, shì shí shī shì shì. Shì shí, shì shī shì shì shì. Shì shì shì shí shī, shì shǐ shì, shǐ shì shí shī shì shì. Shì shíshì shí shī shī, shì shíshì. Shíshì shī, shì shǐ shì shì shí shì. Shí shì shì, shì shǐ shì shí shì shí shī. Shí shí, shǐ shí shì shí shī, shí shí shí shī shī. Shì shì shì shì.

English translation from Antanaclasic Verse:
    In a stone den was a poet named Shi, who loved to eat lions, and had resolved to eat ten.
    He often went to the market to hunt for lions.
    At exactly ten o’clock, ten lions had just arrived at the market.
    At that moment, Shi had just arrived at the market too.
    Seeing those lions, he shot them with his arrows.
    He brought the corpses of the ten lions to the stone den.
    The stone den was damp, so he had his servant clean it.
    After the stone den was cleaned, he tried to eat those ten lions.
    When he ate, he realized the corpses were in fact ten stone lions.
    Try to explain this matter.

Last edited: