a September rain, an April rain, a July rain ---

magic dragon feeders

Japanese
I'd appreciate it if someone would answer my question. Thank you in advance.

Why is an indefinite article used in "a September rain, an April rain, a July rain ---"?

Is it because "a September rain" suggest a certain amount of rain in a certain period (September)?

• magic dragon feeders

Japanese
    The full sentences are as follows;

Late one afternoon, following Adam's return to Florida and Robert's return to Berkeley, I stood at the glass wall of my study watching a September rain drench the empty lounge chairs on my terrace.
    from google---A.J. Marshall - 2001 - ?Fiction

A September rain was good to wash the dust off the crops so the leaves could breathe, and to provide moisture for plants to finish ripening their seeds and fruits before frost.
    from google---Herbal Blessings: A Gardening Novel with Herbal Recipes

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Thanks. :thumbsup:

It is a literary way of describing rain - it causes the reader to imagine rain that is typical of, and takes place in, September. Any month can be substituted.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    watching a September rain
    "A September rain" is one instance of rain, that happened in September. Perhaps it lasted 10 minutes, or perhaps two hours.

"September rain" is an uncountable term for rain that falls during September. It might be used in a sentence like this:

September rain is always cool and refreshing. July rain doesn't relieve the oppressive heat.

magic dragon feeders

Japanese
    Thank you dojibear.
    -Can I say "a September rain" is one time event (rain falling) happening in September, and it would be easy to be aware of (the beginning and) the end of falling, so an indefinite article can be added?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    -Can I say "a September rain" is one time event (rain falling) happening in September,
    Not only, 'can' you, you must. A rain is a single instance of rain falling.
    and it would be easy to be aware of (the beginning and) the end of falling,
    If you mean that "a <adjective> rain" describes one instance of rain, then, yes, it does.
    so an indefinite article can be added?
    The indefinite article is added because it means "one example/instance of".

Grammatically, you should treat 'September' in exactly the same way as any other adjective.

< Previous | Next >