A series of qualitative groups were conducted

Sihaya

English-Australia
How do I translate to spanish "qualitative groups"? Here in Chile we use the english frase "focus groups"...

• Sihaya

English-Australia
    I also feel that it is badly written... the context is that a series of "focus groups" were conducted in X country... I think that the idea is that the groups were interviewed to determine the quality of the product... but I don't want to put "grupos qualitativos", maybe it could be "grupos de nivel (or control) de calidad", but that would be more like an inside quality control, and not about the customers.

gengo

American English
    I also feel that it is badly written... the context is that a series of "focus groups" were conducted in X country... I think that the idea is that the groups were interviewed to determine the quality of the product... but I don't want to put "grupos qualitativos", maybe it could be "grupos de nivel (or control) de calidad", but that would be more like an inside quality control, and not about the customers.
    Careful. It's probably just your typo, but in Spanish it is cualitativos, not qualitativos.

I think the writer of the original is misusing the word qualitative, which has to do with distinctions based on quality as opposed to quantity. In English, quality has two distinct meanings, which are expressed by different words in Spanish: calidad and cualidad. It is the former word that relates to the context here, but the English word qualitative refers to the latter Spanish word. Hence the confusion.

The intended meaning might have been "A series of quality-control groups (focus groups) were formed." (We don't usually say that a group is conducted; rather a study or the like is conducted, while a group is formed.)

Se formó una serie de grupos de control de calidad

That's one possibility.

Sihaya

English-Australia
    mmm... it was typo error ;) and I agree that the original is poorly written... I'll go with what you say for now unless I find something that helps me out along the way.
    Thanks!!!

< Previous | Next >