a seven member soccer / a seven individual soccer

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sb70012, Feb 27, 2015.

1. sb70012

sb70012 Senior Member

Azerbaijani
    Hello,
    It's normal that in soccer (football) each team should have 11 players. But there are some other soccers or footballs in which each team has 7 players. What should we call such a soccer?

Is it acceptable to call it [a seven member soccer] or [a seven individual soccer]?

Thank you.

2. anthox Senior Member

New Jersey, US
    English - Northeast US
    Informally, I'd refer to it as "seven-player soccer." You don't need the article "a" in this context.

3. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    I believe it would be called "seven-a-side football" in BrE.

4. In Absentia Senior Member

UK English
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone say seven-player soccer. Google claims to have "about 160 results" for it but can only produce "about 38". Even the Americans use seven-a-side. Here is a quote from the New York Times:
    And here from the team USA website:

I think you are best to use "seven-player soccer" as an adjective phrase, only in cases where you don't wish to repeat seven-a-side too many times in one piece of writing. i.e:

On Wednesday there was a seven-a-side soccer tournament ... blah blah blah...seven-a-side...blah blah blah...seven-a-side... During the seven-player soccer tournament two players from each team were sent off in disgrace after a vicious fight broke out...

Informally, a lot of people would just say seven-a-side and drop soccer/football if the context was clear to the person with whom they were talking:

We played a game of seven-a-side last Sunday.

5. anthox Senior Member

New Jersey, US
    English - Northeast US
    Sorry, I should have clarified (which I halfheartedly did by opening with "informally"), I'd say "seven-player soccer" as an English speaker utterly ignorant of legitimate football parlance. <insert blush face>