a shape with lion body and the head of a man

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
Hello,

I can't work out why there is no article used before lion body in the phrase below if it is correct.

Could someone help me with this? Many thanks in advance.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I can't work it out either. It would help if you would give the complete sentence (as the rules require).

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
    I am sorry about not giving you the context.

I was watching a TV drama titled "Heroes" when I came across the phrase. The reason I didn't write the full sentence was that I was watching it. Namely, the subtitles change pretty fast, so the phrase above was the only text on the screen. It seems that I was wrong and context is all that matters no matter what.

To be honest, I don't know which phrase is the first and last of the sentence since a narrator reads a quite long passage. The passage goes like this.

somewhere in sands of the desert

a gaze blank and pitiless as the sun

is moving its slow thighs

while all about it reel shadows of the indignant desert birds

the darkness drops again

Forgive me the wrong punctuation. The subtitle that I have does not seem to provide accurate punctuation. Thank you in advance again. I really appreciate your help.

ewhite

USA/English
    The phrases you quote are from the poem "The Second Coming" by William Butler Yeats. The lack of articles ("in sands of the desert", "with lion body") reflects either the requirements of poetic meter, or some arcane poetic device.

The odd thing is that this is one of my favorite poems, by my favorite poets, but when I recite it to myself, I slip in the missing articles. I had to check two or three sites to assure myself that Yeats had, indeed, omitted them.

Here's a link to the complete poem

http://www.artofeurope.com/yeats/yea11.htm

Mack&Mack

Korea & Korean
    The phrases you quote are from the poem "The Second Coming" by William Butler Yeats. The lack of articles ("in sands of the desert", "with lion body") reflects either the requirements of poetic meter, or some arcane poetic device.

The odd thing is that this is one of my favorite poems, by my favorite poets, but when I recite it to myself, I slip in the missing articles. I had to check two or three sites to assure myself that Yeats had, indeed, omitted them.

Here's a link to the complete poem

http://www.artofeurope.com/yeats/yea11.htm
    Thank you, ewhite, indeed for your comment and the link. It's very interesting to learn that you were doubtful about the usage of articles in the poem.

< Previous | Next >