a shed on wheels [structure or construction?]

Arcona

German
Hello,

a friend of mine sent me a picture of a shed on wheels that he built recently.
If I refer to that in my reply should I call it "an interesting structure" or "an interesting construction"?
I'm a bit confused about the difference between structure and construction.
The dictionary says:
structure: something constructed (as a building or a bridge); anything composed of organized parts
construction: something that is constructed, structure

Please help me to choose the correct the right noun.

Thank you.

• Juhasz

English - United States
    I don't know that I've ever heard someone use the word construction in that way. If I heard such a thing, I would suppose that the speaker intended to highlight the construction process of the structure being described.

Perhaps others will disagree with the above point, but you are certainly safe using structure in this case.

Andygc

British English
    Why is it interesting?
    It's unusual to see a shed on wheels - "that's an interesting structure".
    It's made of old packing cases and pieces of lino, and there seem to be some flattened tin cans covering the roof - "that's an interesting construction".

Arcona

German
    Thank you very much, Juhasz and Andygc. Your replies are very helpful and I understand the difference now.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    A friend of mine sent me a picture of a shed on wheels that he built recently.
    If I refer to that in my reply should I call it "an interesting structure" or "an interesting construction"?
    Either one is fine (both are words that I might use in that situation).

< Previous | Next >