A shop that makes and sells cakes - confectionery shop?


Senior Member

The Merriam-Webster’s Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary says:

con·fec·tion·ery /kənˈfɛkʃəˌneri, Brit kənˈfɛkʃənri/ noun [noncount] somewhat formal
: sweet foods (such as fudge and candy) - often used before another noun
a confectionery shop
The Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner's English Dictionary says
confectionery /kənfekʃənri, AM -neri/

Confectionery is sweets and chocolates. (WRITTEN)
...hand-made confectionery.

= sweets
What do you call a shop that makes and sells cakes, both formally and esp. colloquially?
  • JamesM

    Senior Member
    They're called 'cake shops' or 'bakeries' (which also sell bread) in Australia. The more up-market ones are called 'patisseries'.
    There are companies here that specialize in making cakes, particularly wedding cakes, but we don't have "cake shops" as a name or a function, in my experience. If a storefront business makes general-purpose cakes they also make pies, cookies and other items. Do cake shops sell cookies and pies as well?
    < Previous | Next >