a short product life cycle

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
The nature of the industry has changed because many popular artists have only a short product life cycle.

Does the phrase in bold sound right here? Would a short life cycle of products sound better? Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    The nature of the industry has changed because many popular artists have only a short product life cycle.

Does the phrase in bold sound right here? Would a short life cycle of products sound better? Thanks.
    Firstly, I would say "shelf life". Another standard idiom used all the time which would be immediately recognized.

I think that your sentence would make more sense and flow more clearly if you said:

"The nature of the industry has changed because many popular artists' products have a limited/short life cycle/shelf life."

I have changed the location of "products".

Moon Palace

French
    As I read it, if you say 'artists have a short life of products', it is not merely the product that disappears at the end of the shelf life, but the artist also dies... I might be exaggerating a little, but I agree with Dimcl, I would relocate 'products', and the use of a compound word sounds better in such a long sentence rather than add an 'of' complement.
    The short shelf life cycle sounds fine.
    And shelf life is definitely the idiom used for that purpose.

< Previous | Next >