'a short window'

< Previous | Next >

tyomyeky

Polish - Poland
Hi,
How should this ‘in a short window’ be understood. Could you paraphrase it for me?
“Paul understands the limitations of our job and let's face it, it's a short window, and it's not really based on skill”
Thanks for any help.

• jmichaelm

English - US
    Usually a "short window" refers to a short period of time (if it does not literally mean a window in a building).

A bit more context would help in this case.

tyomyeky

Polish - Poland
    This is a conversation between a man (X) and a woman. They both work in the TV industry.
    X: God, it must be tough having to win the viewers over one at a time like this.
    Y: You know, while you were off getting your eyes done over the weekend, Paul flew me to Martha's
    Vineyard to show me this house and it wasn't one of those stupid Cape Cod houses the tourists love. This was a year-round home where you could really be a part of the island. Paul understands the
    limitations of our job and let's face it, it's a short window, and it's not really based on skill.
    X: Yeah, I know that.

jmichaelm

English - US
    The "short window" would be the short length of time they can expect to work at their job.

The woman is saying, "We can't expect to have a long career doing our job; it's based on our appearance, not our skill."

< Previous | Next >