A significant factor to include in the budget

gil12345

chinese
Hi,

I have a question from SAT.

A significant factor(A} to include in the budget when buying (B) a car are the costs of (C)fuel and maintenance and the insurance payments(D). No error

Although I knew the obvious problem lies with A, I found B is problomatic either. Isn't it improper modification?

Suppose we have fixed A, could the original sentence be changed as " When buying a car, significant factors to include in the budget are the costs of fuel and maintenance and the insurance payments"?

Does it look wierd? I think it is better to say " When one buys a car, ....."

Please help me out.

Gilbert

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    As you have said, the original sentence is faulty: it has a singular subject (A significant factor) and a plural verb (are). The easiest correction would be to begin: Two significant factors...

Apart from that, there's nothing wrong with it, and nothing wrong with your proposed rewrite either. Except in very formal language, we tend to avoid one as a personal pronoun.

Never Ever

Greek
    Hi,

I have a question from SAT.

A significant factor(A} to include in the budget when buying (B) a car are the costs of (C)fuel and maintenance and the insurance payments(D). No error

Although I knew the obvious problem lies with A, I found B is problomatic either. Isn't it improper modification?

How does SAT work? Are these multiple-choice items? How do you know there's something wrong with A?

<By the way>, I don't think there's anything specifically wrong with A, and B is certainly not problematic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Copyright

American English
    How does SAT work? Are these multiple-choice items? How do you know there's something wrong with A?

<By the way>, I don't think there's anything specifically wrong with A, and B is certainly not problematic.
    Keith Bradford has described the problem.

As for how SATs work, I'm afraid that's outside our discussion here, but I'm sure a little goggling will uncover their mysteries. :)

Never Ever

Greek
    How exactly is it "outside our discussion"? I would imagine the source of the phrase is most relevant. I have no desire to uncover any mysteries, all I was interested in was why the OP thought - oh forget it, it's really not worth it.

Copyright

American English
    How exactly is it "outside our discussion"? I would imagine the source of the phrase is most relevant. I have no desire to uncover any mysteries, all I was interested in was why the OP thought - oh forget it, it's really not worth it.
    The source is an SAT – a test that is so popular that sample questions and practice tests are widely available online. If you look at this page on sat.collegeboard.com, you'll see examples of Sentence Completion Questions. Then in the navigation panel on the left of that page, you'll find links to the other types of SAT questions.

< Previous | Next >