a silk house

< Previous | Next >

Elenas0

russian
i am reading a story of 1912 year, and meet a lot of words which dont have a translation. I cant get the real meaning of a combination "silk house" in this sentence:
"That was in a silk-house near Spring Street".
Can it be a factory produces silk or a shop of clothes, dresses?
Thank you in advance

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    Could you tell us the name of the book and the author please?

If you could quote a couple of sentences from before and after this one, that might be helpful too.

Elenas0

russian
    He doesnt talk much about that silk-house. But i need to translate it right.
    Here is the whole paragraph:
    "Wait," replied the fire marshal. "That was only the beginning, you understand. A little later came a fire that looked quite like an attempt to mask a robbery by burning the building afterward. That was in a silk-house near Spring Street. But after a controversy the adjusters have reached an agreement on that case. I mention these fires because they show practically all the types of work of the various kinds of firebug - insurance, revenge, robbery, and plain insanity."

Andygc

British English
    I interpret it as meaning a silk importer and wholesaler rather than a shop. It appears to be the now dated use of "house" to mean business premises.

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Yes, in older forms of English you can use house for a business premises like we would say "warehouse" today. I think that trade distribution patterns would require more and smaller warehouses in city centers as compared to today when you can have national distribution from one gigantic central warehouse.

You also see "counting house" for what we'd call the accounting or book keeping department or office.

Elenas0

russian
    Yes, in older forms of English you can use house for a business premises like we would say "warehouse" today. I think that trade distribution patterns would require more and smaller warehouses in city centers as compared to today when you can have national distribution from one gigantic central warehouse.

You also see "counting house" for what we'd call the accounting or book keeping department or office.
    Thank you to explain me more about the usage of the word "house"

< Previous | Next >