A single bell shake off

plantbasedEuropean

Italian
Salve, primo thread perché oramai sono un paio di giorni che considero questa espressione e rimango perplesso circa il suo significato.

Espressione in questione:
"You wouldn't get a single bell shake off"

Contesto:
Una donna minaccia scherzosamente il marito dicendo cose del tipo, "se ti fai male ti uccido". E poi arriva quella frase.

Qualcuno ha qualche idea su come interpretarla?

• plantbasedEuropean

Italian
    Uh, yes, sorry. L'unica possibilità che mi è venuta in mente sarebbe qualcosa del tipo:
    "Non avresti il tempo di suonare la campana/dare l'allarme."

Ma è proprio una wild guess.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Potresti fornirci il testo che precede e segue la frase in questione?

Yes, please do. I'll be the second native English speaker to say it makes zero sense without the written context. What activity is the husband planning to perform that he runs the risk of hurting himself? Boxing?

plantbasedEuropean

Italian
    Thanks for trying to help, both of you.

I'm not sure I'm at liberty to quote the original text, but I'll be more specific. The husband is simply going to work, but it's dangerous outside and he might get attacked. The wife says, "be careful, I'm going to kill you with my own hands if you get yourself hurt, first chance I got", then that sentence, then they hug each other.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Okay, thanks, but it still makes no sense! Are you working, by any chance, from written subtitles to a movie or some other kind of audio? It wouldn't be the first time that we've encountered someone tearing their hair out over what turns out to be someone else's subtitles (or worse, automated captioning) based on a mishearing of audio.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Ciao, arti. See post #5 it’s from a book.:confused:
    Ah. I missed that. In that case, I'm back to the hypothesis that it's a specific reference to something earlier in the story, which we can't possibly guess at. Unless, of course, one of the BE members pitches up now to say that a "single bell shake off" is a common expression where they're from. :D

plantbasedEuropean

Italian
    So, I contacted the author for clarification and it turns out that my wild guess (post #3) was actually correct.

I was so sure I was missing something, but it was just a way for the wife to say, "I'm gonna kill you before you get a chance to ring a bell for help" (because many times a bedridden or extremely ill person is given a bell to ring when they need something).

Thanks again, everyone!
    And sorry about this :)

theartichoke

English - Canada
    They're from the US!

Interesting. I can see how the sentence could mean what it's supposed to mean, but if I had to use those precise words, I probably would have rearranged them into "you wouldn't get off a single bell-shake." And it would still only make immediate sense if something had earlier been said about invalids ringing bells for assistance!