A sit down posture or gesture

jsontr

Chinese
I can't find the exactly term I am looking for. The closest one I found online is something like "... one leg up". Its posture looks similar to below (though the one I want to describe is more casual. It's really like extremely relax or laid back when staying at home with one leg up on the chair)

Imgur (The original picture appears at Cowgirl bench one leg up. But just in case people don't want click original link, so linking the original picture to imgur website)

Is there any term can be used to describe that posture or gesture?

Thanks

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Hello, jsontr! Welcome to the forum!

I don't know any term or expression that is used for sitting in this position.

I would say that
    - she is sitting on a bench
    - with one leg drawn up close to her chest
    - and that foot (not the leg) resting on the bench
    - and that foot upright on the bench (not on its side)
    - and...

In other words, you can describe the position (in any language). Adding more details (with more words) will add accuracy.

AngelEyes

English - United States
    I can't find the exactly term I am looking for. The closest one I found online is something like "... one leg up". Its posture looks similar to below (though the one I want to describe is more casual. It's really like extremely relax or laid back when staying at home with one leg up on the chair)

Imgur (The original picture appears at Cowgirl bench one leg up. But just in case people don't want click original link, so linking the original picture to imgur website)

Is there any term can be used to describe that posture or gesture?

Thanks
    The girl in the picture is relaxing on a bench, her arm resting on a raised knee.

Your more casual image would be a girl slouching in a chair, one leg either dangling over the arm of the chair, or her knee casually raised.

Keep in mind that the key word would be the way her body is while sitting. Relaxing on that bench is a bit different than slouching in a chair. Her body in the photo is poised and informal, but not as much as someone who's leaning back, her whole body spread out more in a chair. Find the appropriate verb that equals how calm and uninhibited you want her to be.

Maybe loose-limbed is the adjective close to what you're looking for. You can walk/move loose-limbed, but when you're describing someone sitting loose-limbed, they're usually sprawled in some way, their stance easy because their body is limber, which means their knee may be raised very easily.

jsontr

Chinese
    @AngelEyes I was not aware of the word slouching, and usage such as loose-limbed. Thanks, it's helpful!

@dojibear It looks like unavoidable in order to let my target listener understand better by giving a bit more description on the gesture.

@london calling & ain'ttranslationfun? Thanks!

< Previous | Next >