a situation and state that <affects / affect>

< Previous | Next >

kebi

Korean-Korea
The following is part of my translation of a Korean sentence.

a situation and state that affects the severity of punishment for an act of crime.

I was wondering if I should use the singular or plural form of "affect." Could anyone offer clarification?
Thank you in advance.

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    We need the entire sentence in order to be able to say for sure, kebi. A little context would also be helpful.

kebi

Korean-Korea
    Looks like I caused confusion with the words "part of." Actually, the above translation is all I got, meaning there is no context to refer to since the translated phrase ia a definition in a dictionary. Could I take your post to mean that either the singular or plural is OK depending on the context, if any?

Winstanley808

Banned
    English - U.S.
    What's the wordd being defined? It's a little difficult for me to envision something that could be simultaneously a "situation" and a "state." Something might be defined as a situation or state. In that case, the subject of "affect" would be singular and it should have an -s. By the way, "an act of crime" is not English. "a crime" is, and so is "a criminal act."

kebi

Korean-Korea
    The word being defined is "circumstances." An example sentence could be as follows:

Do your best in whatever circumstances you are in.

As for your comment -It's a little difficult for me to envision something that could be simultaneously a "situation" and a "state." - would it be OK if "state" is replaced by "condition"? If so, should the subject of "affect" be singular or plural?

a situation and condition that affects/affect the severity of punishment for a criminal act.

kebi

Korean-Korea
    I am translating words/phrases in a Korean-Korean dictionary into Engligh as part of a project to build a multilingual dictionary for learners of the Korean language. So the definitions put in my posts are all in Korean originally.

< Previous | Next >