a situation you cannot escape from

< Previous | Next >

Huda

Arabic-Egypt
Please help me.

Could anyone please suggest the appropriate word that could be used in the following sentence:

It is ....of extremism, whether extreme action or reactions.

The word I'm looking for means a very powerful situation you cannot escape from.

A suggested word is vortex.

Thanks in advance.

• theartichoke

English - Canada
    I think to be absolutely sure, we'd need to know what "it" refers to. I can imagine calling some things/situations "a vortex of extremism," but not others.

Huda

Arabic-Egypt
    I think to be absolutely sure, we'd need to know what "it" refers to. I can imagine calling some things/situations "a vortex of extremism," but not others.
    It refers to the whole situation that was mentioned before this sentence.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    It refers to the whole situation that was mentioned before this sentence.
    Yes, that is evident. What I meant is that unless we have a few details about what kind of situation that is, it's hard to say if "vortex" is the best and most accurate word. If it's a situation that sucks people in--especially agains their will--so they can't get out even if they try to get out, then "vortex" could work. But I can imagine powerful situations you can't escape from that might be better described as "double-binds" or "prisons." It all depends what the situation is.

Huda

Arabic-Egypt
    Yes, that is evident. What I meant is that unless we have a few details about what kind of situation that is, it's hard to say if "vortex" is the best and most accurate word. If it's a situation that sucks people in--especially agains their will--so they can't get out even if they try to get out, then "vortex" could work. But I can imagine powerful situations you can't escape from that might be better described as "double-binds" or "prisons." It all
    depends what the situation is.
    It's a situation that sucks people in, but not necessarily against their will.

< Previous | Next >