a slice of the sun tangled amid the glossy green leaves

Discussion in 'English Only' started by jacdac, Sep 25, 2017.

1. jacdac

jacdac Senior Member

Lebanese
    The moth makes Evie laugh. It lands on her bare forearm and she brushes her index finger lightly across the brown and gray waves that color its wings. <...>. It lifts away. Upward, upward, and upward the moth goes, and is swallowed by a slice of the sun tangled amid the glossy green leaves twenty feet above Evie’s place among the roots on the ground.
    Source: Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King

I am having problem interpreting the bolded.
    Would a slice of the sun = rays/beams of the sun?
    What tangled? the month or the slice of sun? Would you say tangled amid or tangled with?
    Evie's place among the roots on the ground = Evie's place that is among the roots on the ground, right?

Thank you.

2. Edinburgher Senior Member

Scotland
    German/English bilingual
    Just as you have inserted for your own understanding "that is" after "place" (though I'd prefer "which was" here), you can do the same before "tangled", i.e. "is swallowed by a slice of sun which was tangled amid the leaves".
    Evie is looking up through the leaves of the tree, and this canopy is not dense enough to block out the sunlight completely, but there are gaps, but the leaves are moving in the breeze, so there are many slices of sunlight engaged in a kind of interplay with the leaves.
    I don't think "with" would be an improvement over "amid".

The moth is "swallowed" only in the sense that this light show is making the moth impossible to see.