a slightly saltier <edge>

< Previous | Next >

AntiScam

Arabic
Hello,
1- What does "saltier edge" exactly mean?
2- How did edge come to have its meaning in this phrase? I've never find found this meaning in any of the dictionaries I've checked. Could it allude to some the little salt on the edge of a knife?!

Some quotes from Google search results
Table salt has a slightly saltier edge than kosher or sea salt.
Jay Rayner The mackerel is a sweet cure and I think it could do with a slightly saltier edge.
I would have liked a slightly saltier edge to the pudding but it was still yummy!
Smoked salmon was a pleasure to have for a slightly saltier edge.
Edit: stroke through some slips

Last edited:
  • apricots

English - US
    I think this can be translated as a "slightly saltier quality." As in table salt is saltier than kosher or sea salt; the mackerel could do with more salt; the pudding could have had a saltier flavor; I'm at a loss to translate the salmon sentence.

People writing about the senses like the taste of food often use words that don't seem to make any sense. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Smoked salmon was a pleasure to have for a slightly saltier edge. = Smoked salmon was a pleasure to eat because of/on account of/for the sake of its slightly saltier tang.

AntiScam

Arabic
    From Oxford dictionaries; I've found the word edge only after using the word tang used in PaulQ's answer. Thank you apricots for the translation and to PaulQ for the slightly saltier tang that gives your phrasing a distinct edge!:D

By the way, it turns out that edge and tang both have a meaning that has to do with a knife, a kitchen tool!

Synonyms of tang in English:
    noun
    flavour, taste, savour;
    sharpness, zest, zestiness, bite, edge, smack, piquancy, spice, spiciness, relish, tastiness
    informal zip, punch, ginger, kick, pep
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Now as I'm typing this post I see that I've read the following sense of the word edge but I remember that I ignored it because I thought the meaning covers only intangible senses.

2.1 [in singular] An intense, sharp, or striking quality:
    a flamenco singer brings a primitive edge to the music there was an edge of menace in his voice More example sentences
    • Comedy or satire has to be slightly nasty, have a sharp edge to it.
    • For all his charm, his generosity, that deep, rasping cackle that rumbles through his conversation, he has a sharp edge.
    • The Frenchman, still wearing the No 7 from his Manchester United heyday, has charisma but also an edge of menace.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Yes, 'edge' and 'edgy' are useful words with several interesting shades of meaning and uses, all of which make perfect sense. Well-worth 'worrying about', studying and incorporating into your vocabulary.
    To be on the edge, to feel nervous, excited,apprehensive; to unsettle, disconcert and trouble; 'at the cutting-edge'; the edge you can fall off, the sharp edge of the knife. This is one of the many joys of language. :)

< Previous | Next >