a slip-on or a loafer

stephenlearner

Chinese
Hi,

What is an outdoor shoe with no laces called? A slip-on or a loafer?

I have googled the pictures. They have the same pictures.

If they are synonymous, which is more commonly used?

Thanks

• waltern

English - USA
    "Outdoor shoes with no laces" is a very broad category, ranging from stiletto heels to Wellington boots to everything in between - what one would call them would depend on the particular shoes in question.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    For me, slip-on is an adjective meaning "easy to slip onto the feet without laces, buckles or straps". So you have the noun phrase slip-on shoes, shortened to slip-ons.

Loafers are a particular style of slip-on shoes worn by Americans. :) Well, the expression is more American than British and I've never discovered whether it means anything more or less than slip-on shoes. Certainly the only usage of it which I'm fairly certain of is penny loafers which are, I gather, leather slip-on shoes with a bar across the instep into which you can slide a penny. See http://cdn3.sarenza.net/static/_img/productsV4/0000092532/MD_0000092532_215038_03.jpg?201501152242. (Exactly why you'd want to, I have no idea.)

suzi br

English / England
    Lots of types of shoe can be slipped on without fastenings. They could all be called slip ons That is a generic term.

A loafer is a particularly style within that category.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Certainly the only usage of it which I'm fairly certain of is penny loafers which are, I gather, leather slip-on shoes with a bar across the instep into which you can slide a penny. See http://cdn3.sarenza.net/static/_img/productsV4/0000092532/MD_0000092532_215038_03.jpg?201501152242. (Exactly why you'd want to, I have no idea.)
    Wikipedia gives a couple of theories, Keith. :)

Slip-on shoe - Wikipedia
    The term penny loafer has uncertain beginnings. One explanation is when American prep school students in the 1950s, wishing to make a fashion statement, took to inserting a penny into the diamond-shaped slit on their Weejuns. Another theory is that two pennies could be slipped into the slit, enough money to make an emergency phone call in the 1930s.

Last edited:

waltern

English - USA
    < Previous | Next >