a slit up/down the side

< Previous | Next >

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
"A skirt with a slit up the side" is a skirt that looks like you started to cut it from the low edge and went up towards the waist, with scissors. For the same reason there's not such a thing as "a skirt with a slit down the side", am I correct?
Thanks.

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I don't usually disagree with Kate, but in this case, I do. If the slit starts at the hem (what you call the "low edge"), I'd definite use only up, not "down".

JustKate

I don't usually disagree with Kate, but in this case, I do. If the slit starts at the hem (what you call the "low edge"), I'd definite use only up, not "down".
    But what if for some reason your eye started at her blouse (maybe it's really cute or a really flamboyant pattern or something). Isn't it possible that you'd then say "down"? I would.

Packard

USA, English
    A lot has to do with perspective.

The parent of a 17 year old girl might say that the "sweater buttons up the front", whereas the girl's boyfriend might say it buttons down the front.:)

If I am pointing out how much leg it being shown with the slit, then I would say it is "slit up" (or "slit up to her thigh")

If I am pointing out that the pencil skirt allows freedom of leg motion to a greater degree that other pencil skirts then I might say it is "slit down".

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    If I am pointing out how much leg it being shown with the slit, then I would say it is "slit up" (or "slit up to her thigh")

If I am pointing out that the pencil skirt allows freedom of leg motion to a greater degree that other pencil skirts then I might say it is "slit down".
    I see:D
    Thank you, everyone.

< Previous | Next >