a small, dark den to the side of her house.

< Previous | Next >

Anne Frank

Russian
Hello dear friends, I'm still reading this, but now struggling to understand another paragraph:
We sit in a small, dark den to the side of her house. Brigitte lies on an old couch, complaining that her feet hurt. I sit on a loveseat next to a Christmas tree, upon which hangs a star knitted by her mother, Hedwig, the kommandant’s wife.
If you have any ideas what small, dark den to the side of her house, could look like(it's definitely about America's houses, because the woman lives there) in this case, please, send me a photo. Google misunderstands me stubbornly, it says a den is a place where a wild animal, or a single human lives. Besides, it says a den can be a please within a house, where people work, but I'm not sure about both of these... please, help.
P.S. To the side of a house is like attached to the house itself, or just standing next to the house?

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    It's a room inside the house. A room called 'a den' can have several purposes, but it's often a casual, cosy, comfy sort of room. I have no idea why the author thinks it's necessary to tell us that it's 'to the side of the house'. That means it's not at the front or the back. A room like this often has a smaller window.

Den (room) - Wikipedia

Don't forget the WWR dictionary! :)
    den - WordReference.com Dictionary of English

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    "To the side of" could mean that it is a separate building, or that it is joined only on one wall. In BrE it would be reasonably common to call a shed you could study or relax in a "den" (as opposed to a shed used for storing gardening equipment, for example), but I don't know whether this usage works in American English.

Myridon

English - US
    In BrE it would be reasonably common to call a shed you could study or relax in a "den" (as opposed to a shed used for storing gardening equipment, for example), but I don't know whether this usage works in American English.
    In American English, a den is not a shed.
    (The Christmas tree is decorated and they are having a conversation while seated on a couch and a loveseat (a smaller couch).)

< Previous | Next >