a social commentary

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
-- Baby's First Baby is a toy doll created by artist Darren Cullen in 2012. Intended as a social commentary, his goal is to raise awareness of teen pregnancies and what pregnancy really entails.
A YT video

How do you understand "social commentary", what does it mean? Thank you.

• Packard

USA, English
    The doll represents some aspect of the social landscape and is making some sort of comment on that.

I had no idea what the doll was about so I looked it up:

The commentary is probably that girls are getting pregnant at too young of an age. It seems to me to be a pretty repugnant toy. Who would buy this for their child?

Juhasz

English - United States
    The sentence is grammatically incorrect. It's a dangling modifier. The doll was intended to be social commentary (a doll can be social commentary in the same way that a painting can be social commentary) and the artist's goal in making it is to raise awareness of teen pregnancies and what pregnancy really entails.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The doll was intended to be social commentary (a doll can be social commentary in the same way that a painting can be social commentary) and the artist's goal in making it is to raise awareness of teen pregnancies and what pregnancy really entails.
    I thought that it's people who make commentaries, but things (toys/paintings) can only cause/bring about/give rise to them:

commentary
    1 : spoken or written discussion in which people express opinions about someone or something
    [noncount] The television show features political commentary by well-known journalists.
    The magazine includes humor and social commentary.
    M-W

Am I wrong?...

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Another definition, Collins's:
    Commentary is discussion or criticism of something.
    The show mixed comedy with social commentary...

I mean, how can a social commentary be not verbal? It could be spoken or written, but verbal. A doll as a commentary... what does that mean, could you explain?

< Previous | Next >