a society based around Cosmo personality quizzes

< Previous | Next >

Yujan Chou

Chinese-China
I was reading a film review of The Divergent Series: Allegiant in Empire magazine, which begins as follows:

"With a future society seemingly based around Cosmo personality quizzes (Shailene Woodley: mainly Cs) and made up of people with no surnames, Divergent didn’t begin with the most lucid of premises."

I am not very sure what does a society "based around Cosmo personality quizzes" mean? Like, a society in which everyone has a distinctive, if not stereotypical, personality as they perfectly fit into the various result categories of a personality quiz in Cosmopolitan? And if so, what do the bracketed words, "Shailene Woodley: mainly Cs," mean?

The Divergent Series: Allegiant

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    I'm not sure what this means. It might mean that Shalaine Woodley mostly picked the answer 'c' in multiple-choice personality quizzes.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I'm not sure what this means. It might mean that Shalaine Woodley mostly picked the answer 'c' in multiple-choice personality quizzes.
    :tick: I could make neither heads or tails of it, but that makes a lot of sense, owlman. I might have written "C's".

What I find weird, is that the writer chose to use a "last name" in this case.

Yujan Chou

Chinese-China
    :tick:
    What I find weird, is that the writer chose to use a "last name" in this case.
    Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by using a "last name"? Do you mean that the author would better omit "Woodley" in this case and call her by her first name only?

Last edited:

Yujan Chou

Chinese-China
    Yes. :) I should have used "surname" like the author did.
    But what's wrong with the last name in this case? I thought it was common in a review to call an actor by his/her full name, wasn't it? Am I missing something?:confused:

Last edited:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I'm probably missing something. :)

When it says in the text "... made up of people with no surnames ...", I'd expect to read: (Shailene: mainly C's).

I think that would underscore the point.

Again, I'm probably missing something.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Shailene Woodley is the name of the actress; she has a surname.

I suppose that the character she plays has no surname.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    So, as in we say "Cher", even though she has a surname?

"Shailene Woodley" is a double first name? :confused:

Cagey

English - US
    I don't understand your point.
    In the world depicted in the movie, people have no surnames. In the real world, the actress has a surname which she uses, and which the reporter uses when he refers to her. If he were talking about the actress Cher, who uses only one name, he would probably do as she does.

Cagey

English - US
    Let's do this the other way around.

Why do you think the reference to "Shailene Woodley" shouldn't include the surname?
    What does this have to do with the original question?

perpend

Banned
    American English
    "... are made up of people with no surnames ..." is in the original post.

For effect, I would expect the writer to use just a first name, in the text.

< Previous | Next >