a space cadet/a heavenly soldier

quietdandelion

Banned
Formosa/Chinese
I have a vague idea that a space cadet is the counterpart of our "heavenly soldier." In our language, "a heavenly soldier" is a sarcastic term teasing a person who is out of place as well as ill-informed, can't do their job well, and doesn't care about anything too much. Is it close to "a space cadet?" If not, what is the counterpart in English? Thanks.

• Dimcl

Canadian English
    I have a vague idea that a space cadet is the counterpart of our "heavenly soldier." In our language, "a heavenly soldier" is a sarcastic term teasing a person who is out of place as well as ill-informed, can't do their job well, and doesn't care about anything too much. Is it close to "a space cadet?" If not, what is the counterpart in English? Thanks.
    Not really, QD. "Space cadet" means a person is "spaced out" (or "spacey"). It's usually reserved for people who aren't terribly bright or who seem always to be out in "left field" (a baseball idiom meaning the same thing). To be a "space cadet" means to be unfocused, unthinking, sort of vacant in the brain department. :)

sdgraham

USA English
    The term "space cadet" has a historical antecedent in a 1948 novel and, if my rapidly fading memory is correct, a series in very early American television. Wikipedia describes it here.

< Previous | Next >