A Spiderman cake

adorobrasil

American English-Midwest
Would a 'Spiderman cake' be 'Um bola de Spiderman'? Here for birthdays we have lots of cakes in the form of superheroes or cartoon characters. I'm thinking that I might also say 'Um bolo em forma de spiderman.'

• Brass

Portuguese (Brazilian)
    Hi, adorobrasil.

I understand we could say "Bolo do Homem-Aranha", or "Bolo no formato do Homem-Aranha".
    However, "bolo de Homem-Aranha" would not be right, as it would mean that the Spiderman were an actual ingredient in the recipe.

For instance, if you have an "orange cake", you would translate it as "bolo de laranja", or a "chocolate cake" would be a "bolo de chocolate".

But, f you say "bolo do Chocolate", then we would understand it as a cake belonging to Chocolate (which, by the way, can be a nickname in Brazil).
    So, "bolo de something" = something goes into the recipe;
    "bolo do something / someone = the cake belongs to something / someone

Hope not to have confused you anymore!

Alentugano

Português - Portugal
    Hi, adorobrasil.

I understand we could say "Bolo do Homem-Aranha", or "Bolo no formato do Homem-Aranha".
    However, "bolo de Homem-Aranha" would not be right, as it would mean that the Spiderman were an actual ingredient in the recipe.

For instance, if you have an "orange cake", you would translate it as "bolo de laranja", or a "chocolate cake" would be a "bolo de chocolate".

But, f you say "bolo do Chocolate", then we would understand it as a cake belonging to Chocolate (which, by the way, can be a nickname in Brazil).
    So, "bolo de something" = something goes into the recipe;
    "bolo do something / someone = the cake belongs to something / someone

Hope not to have confused you anymore!
    Por aqui diríamos "um bolo do Homem-aranha" ou (a nova geração) "um bolo do Spiderman".

< Previous | Next >