A sport-like jacket.

< Previous | Next >

Doggy2017

spanish-costa rica
1-Sorry,but we don't have any sports-like jacket at the moment.

The above sentence is just for the sake of giving an example; It could perfectly be "some boot-like shoes" or "a sports-like car" or any other adjective/noun you could think of. For example, " We actually don't carry any sports-like cars here".

Does the above sentence sound correct to a native speaker?
If somebody understood the intended meaning,could you please help me? I don't know why I feel that "style" or "type" might convey the idea I'm looking for.

• lingobingo

English - England
    Sorry,but we don't have any sports-like jackets at the moment.

Does the above sentence sound correct to a native speaker?
    No, not really, in that particular case. Here are some typical examples of those suffixes:

sports-type jacket / bungalow-style house / cabbage-like vegetable

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    The usual sentence you'd hear is: We don't have any sports jackets (in stock) at the moment.
    sports jacket - WordReference.com Dictionary of English

It could perfectly be "some boot-like shoes"
    I'd expect "shoes cut like boots" (wouldn't they be boots then?).

We actually don't carry any sports-like cars here
    I'd expect "sports cars".

I know you said they are examples but since those examples aren't very appropriate ones, you might want to ask about some different ones.

Doggy2017

spanish-costa rica
    No, not really, in that particular case. Here are some typical examples of those suffixes:

sports-type jacket / bungalow-style house / cabbage-like vegetable
    Hi lingo. So if a customer of mine comes to my store showing me a Nike jacket, which is a sports jacket she bought from a friend of hers and tells me "this is the type of jacket I'm looking for" and I really want to emphasize on the fact that jackets of that type is what I really don't have available at the moment, is " I don't have sports jackets at the moment" the only possible answer to convey this idea? In Spanish we use the words "style" and " type" to convey the idea I'm looking for. A Spanish sentence using this concept would read like this " I don't have any sports type/style jacket at the moment". Again, it's just for the sake of giving an example.I know very well this is an English only forum,but there might be someone out there who understands Spanish to help me on this.

lingobingo

English - England
    So if a customer …… tells me "this is the type of jacket I'm looking for" and I really want to emphasize on the fact that jackets of that type is what I really don't have available at the moment, is "I don't have sports jackets at the moment" the only possible answer to convey this idea?
    In #2 I gave sport-type jacket as a valid example. Sports-style jacket works too. (Just not sports-like!)

But if it were me, I would probably say: Sorry, but we don't have any of that style of jacket in at the moment.

Doggy2017

spanish-costa rica
    In #2 I gave sport-type jacket as a valid example. Sports-style jacket works too. (Just not sports-like!)
    But if it were me, I would probably say: Sorry, but we don't have any of that style of jacket in at the moment.
    Oops,yeah,now I see it.what a shame you can't hear me clapping because I'm doing it right now. Thanks a lot lingo! :thumbsup::thumbsup::tick:

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    So if a customer of mine comes to my store showing me a Nike jacket, which is a sports jacket she bought from a friend of hers and tells me "this is the type of jacket I'm looking for" and I really want to emphasize on the fact that jackets of that type is what I really don't have available at the moment,
    Are you referring to a particular style of sports jacket? Or jackets of the type known as sports jackets?

(I'm not sure Nike makes sports jackets by the way. They might make sporty jackets.)

Doggy2017

spanish-costa rica
    Are you referring to a particular style of sports jacket? Or jackets of the type known as sports jackets?

(I'm not sure Nike makes sports jackets by the way. They might make sporty jackets.)
    Well,I'm not even close to being sure if it's "sporty" "sports" "sport" or any other similar word,as I'm not a native speaker but a begginer level learner of the English lenaguage.I usually take stabs in the dark thinking that the intended meaning is understood and then corrected in spelling , meaning,context,and so on by native speakers; to be honest, I didn't even know the word "sporty".I actually expect native speakers to correct me when I'm barking up
    the wrong tree."any kind of jacket that you can use to do sport" is what I intended to imply ; so, "Hi, do you have any sporty-type jackets at the moment" is the right way to say?

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    < Previous | Next >