a starred A (grade)

< Previous | Next >

wolfbm1

Polish
Hello.

I was looking for English counterparts of a Polish adjective describing something as the best in connection with education.
I got these: a star pupil, an excellent answer, to pass an exam with flying colours and starred A (grade).

Source: PWN Oxford Dictionary.
If I wanted to say that a pupil got a very good mark for maths, could I say this sentence:
Mary got a starred A for maths last week.

Thank you.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    The top grade in British GCSE and A level exams is now an A*.

I think it's pronounced as 'an A-star grade' (rather than "starred A").

Egmont

English - U.S.
    In the U.S., a "starred A" is not an official grade. An elementary school teacher might put a star next to a grade of A for particularly outstanding work. This is not done at higher levels. You might find a grade of A+, though.

Apparently there is a grade of A* in the U.K., as posted just above. You could use it if you are writing for BE speakers who are familiar with this grade.

Retired-teacher

British English
    As mentioned above A* in Britain is the top exam grade. However, your example sentence implies normal week-to-week work. I therefore suggest.

Mary got an A (or a star) for maths last week. (The one in brackets would only be used for a young child and only if his/her school used the star system of reward.)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >