a step is taken toward something?

Rigardo Lee

Context from my TOEFL reading book.

But the myths that have grown up around the rites may continue as part of the group’s oral tradition and may even come to be acted out under conditions divorced from these rites. When this occurs, the first step has been taken toward theater as an autonomous activity, and thereafter entertainment and aesthetic values may gradually replace the former mystical and socially efficacious concerns.

Hi all.

I hope you are all having a great day :)

I've just come across this part in my TOEFL reading book and kind of got stuck.

What does the author exactly mean by 'the first step has been taken toward theater' and 'efficacious?'

Does it mean something like 'one turns to theater when this occurs?'

Also, I'm quite aware of how this forum works and tried to observe the rule: look for dictionary before you post.

But, I'm still lost on 'efficacious' even after consulting several dictionaries. It just does quite collocate well to say 'socially efficacious concerns'.

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    The original rites and the myths that grew out of them were socially efficacious. They satisfied certain of societies' needs, and the need for mysticism. "Mystical concerns" and "socially efficacious concerns" - things to do with mysticism and things that helped society in former times to function better.

Theatre doesn't necessarily do that any more because it primarily entertains us and satisfies us aesthetically..

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    You have split the sentence wrongly:
    When this occurs, {the first step has been taken toward theater as an autonomous activity,} [...] may gradually replace the former mystical and socially efficacious concerns.

Efficacious is in our dictionary. Also, see agent sure to be efficacious

Concerns = businesses/enterprises

"My brother runs a transport concern." = "My brother runs a transport business." concern - WordReference.com Dictionary of English - #7

Last edited:

se16teddy

English - England
    Societies make journeys that start with having no theatre tradition and end with having a theatre tradition. This is the first step on that journey.
    Socially efficacious = beneficial for society.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >