a stick/skewer of shashlic

  • Copyright

    Senior Member
    American English
    The word as I know it ends in a "k" – shashlik.

    From Wikipedia: Shashlik: Shashlik (meaning skewered meat) was originally made of lamb. Nowadays it is also made of pork or beef depending on local preferences and religious observances. The skewers are either threaded with meat only, or with alternating pieces of meat, fat, and vegetables, such as bell pepper, onion, mushroom and tomato.

    From that description, I suppose you could use "skewer," although in restaurants I imagine you just order "the shashlik" and you get however many skewers they serve. With satay, for example, you order "chicken satay" and you get however many they serve in that order. Standing in front of a roadside vendor, I would probably say: "Shashlik – two." And hold up two fingers.


    Senior Member
    American English
    Yes, if whoever you're buying from offers them individually, rather than as a part of a set menu item.


    Senior Member
    English - Northeast US
    I don't know the word "shashlik". It is a foreign word. I've eaten similar dishes from a dozen countries, and each has a different word for it. I don't think most Americans know the word "shashlik". Only those who have ordered it in a restaurant (or found it in a recipe book) would know the word.

    The standard American term is "shish kebab". The metal stick is a "skewer". It is a very common dish people cook at home (on an outdoor grill) using beef, chicken or pork and possible vegetables (as #2 describes).

    Outdoor stands that sell this type of dish often use thin wooden skewers, which you throw away after eating. These can be called "skewers" or just "sticks".
    < Previous | Next >