A still significant percentage of the population continues to smoke.

• Kelly B

USA English
    If you use it, it should be hyphenated: a still-significant...

I think it is ambiguous, though. Do you mean "nevertheless" (despite what I said in a previous section...), or do you mean "even now"?

JamesM

I don't have a problem with "a still significant", particularly if the context includes some comment about diminishing numbers of smokers. The sentence looks fine to me. It's a bit more "academic" in tone than straightforward, but it's still very clear.

I found these examples of "a still significant" via Google:

"Canada's productivity performance has been disappointing in recent years, with estimates suggesting a still significant gap with the level in the United States."

"....and a still significant gap between groups of countries with prevalence rates of more than 50%..."

"Other recommended provisions simply do not reduce a still significant risk."

"...that a still significant degree of economic slack remains in Japan..."

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    The percentage of the population that continues to smoke is still significant.
    When used in this manner still could be a modifier.
    The percentage of the population that continues to smoke is still significant.

The percentage of the population that continues to smoke is significant.

I think that the second sentence carries more emphasis on the word significant.

JamesM

I think it's a modifier in the same way in the original sentence.

"A significant percentage..."

"A still significant percentage..."

The second version draws attention to the percentage still being significant, even in light of some other fact or facts presented earlier in the context.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    A significant percentage, in isolation, means nothing.

As part of a discussion that clearly establishes context for the use of "a significant percentage", it is fine.

A significant percentage could be 53%, 3.7%, 0.183%.
    Significance is context-depentent.

< Previous | Next >