A strange clock alarm

< Previous | Next >

ulyssem

italian
Hi everybody.

this is a description in a novel,
by Thomas McGuane, Driving on the rim,

and I cannot understand which is the meaning of the "time" mentioned here,
it's not hours, it's not minutes, it's not pm / am, it's not the alarm, I guess it's not seconds...

"I had owned this clock for several years without fully understanding it. You held one button to set the time, another to set the alarm, one to set the hours, another to set the minutes. am and pm came and went like the days of my life and I often failed to set them properly."

what this "time" would be, then?

any opinions? Thanks!

• lgs

American English
    You held one button to set the (current) time.

I believe this is a digital clock the author is describing and there are several buttons for several functions. Obviously, this person was confused by all the buttons and never set the time correctly so that mornings (am) and afternoons/evenings went by without being set on the clok properly.

I hope this helps.

ulyssem

italian
    I appreciate your help,
    but I'm not positive yet,

he's like... listing different buttons for each functions, as you say,
    I can see he's doing a mess on the am/pm (and still...) but to me TIME is composed by hours and minutes... so this is a little nonsense... unless he has to hold one button to ACTIVE the function of setting the time (composed by hours, mintues, and seconds) and THEN he has to hold another one for each function... is that what you mean?

You held one button to set the (current) time.

I believe this is a digital clock the author is describing and there are several buttons for several functions. Obviously, this person was confused by all the buttons and never set the time correctly so that mornings (am) and afternoons/evenings went by without being set on the clok properly.

I hope this helps.

lgs

American English
    I have a similar clock and I have to hold the button down to set the time together with the button to set the minutes, and then do it again with the button to set the hours, and then again to set the alarm (!). There is usually a green dot which appears when the time has gone to pm from am, and if you don't see it you will mess up your am's and pm's. (A lot of fun when you're setting the alarm for work!)

ulyssem

italian
    :)

thanks!

I have a similar clock and I have to hold the button down to set the time together with the button to set the minutes, and then do it again with the button to set the hours, and then again to set the alarm (!). There is usually a green dot which appears when the time has gone to pm from am, and if you don't see it you will mess up your am's and pm's. (A lot of fun when you're setting the alarm for work!)

< Previous | Next >