a strange sight

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

She saw a strange sight yesterday. In the Alps, she saw snow for the first time in her life!

I made up the sentences. How do you usually use 'strange sight'? According to the definition of 'strange' below, I guess my sentences make sense because she had never seen or experienced snow before. But I feel something strange about my use of "see a strange sight".
I would appreciate any comments.

(Wordreference dictionary)
strange /streɪndʒ/ adj
  • odd, unusual, or extraordinary in appearance, effect, manner, etc; peculiar
  • not known, seen, or experienced before; unfamiliar
  • not easily explained

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    I would not use "strange sight" in this context, because seeing snow in the Alps is not unusual, even if it was a new experience for the subject. If she had seen snow in the Sahara Desert, it could be appropriate.

You could say "She had a new experience yesterday," or "She saw something new to her."

dadane

English (London/Essex)
    In normal conversation, it would be most strange. This is for the simple reason that it is unclear whether it is strange to you, her, or both, so 'strange' tends to be used only in the sense of unusual in general rather than unusual from the perspective of one person.

However, if this is were written piece describing her experiences, there is no ambiguity and 'strange' does in fact convey the intended meaning.

< Previous | Next >