a stripped down affair

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Emblazoned with the new Yahoo logo unveiled earlier this month, the app is a relatively stripped down affair offering a clean and simple interface that, while seamlessly blending in with the new iOS 7 interface, appears to be designed for speed and practicality on a mobile device.

Source: Yahoo Pushes Out Refreshed News App for iOS 7

Background: Yahoo released their redesigned iOS app just in time for the launch of iOS7 in September. The app boasts a slick interface and several features optimized for iOS 7, providing users a faster, simpler and cleaner experience. Yahoo's new update comes as one in a series of attempts to breathe new life into the brand under the leadership of a new CEO.

Hi,
I find the use of "affair" difficult to understand. I guess it means "an event or happening" but it's still a puzzle to me in this context.

• Myridon

English - US
    From the Word Reference dictionary on "affair":
    3 (qualified by an adjective or descriptive phrase) something previously specified, esp a man-made object; thing: our house is a tumbledown affair

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you idialegre and Myridon. What effect the writer is trying to achieve with "affair"? Is it used just to avoid the generic "matter/thing"?

< Previous | Next >