a stroll along the prom prom prom

delwin

france / french
hi,
does this sentence: "a stroll along the prom prom prom" is, for native English, something else than a part of a song from queen (seven seas rhye)?

and, can someone explain me what "prom prom prom" is ?

thank you.

• delwin

france / french
    thank you.

is it a way of saying promenade used in the "everyday" life or does it automatically refer to Queen?

nzseries1

New Zealand - English
    I admit I don't know the song, but I don't see any hidden meaning here. I think you should just take it as face value - someone is taking a walk along the promenade - simple as that :)

Also, welcome to the forums!!

Brioche

Australia English
    thank you.

is it a way of saying promenade used in the "everyday" life or does it automatically refer to Queen?

In BE, a promenade is a public walk, especially at a sea-side resort.

The words in the Queen song refer to this well-known English Music Hall song, composed in 1907:
    Oh I do like to be beside the seaside,
    I do like to be beside the sea,
    I do like to stroll along the prom, prom, prom,
    Where the brassbands play
    Tiddley-om-pom-pom!

Promenade
    has been turned in to prom, prom, prom to make it fit the rhyme and rhythm of the song.
    It is not normal speech.

There are many parodies of this song.

delwin

france / french
    ok it is an older song originally.
    so in English speakers' mind, this sentence make them think of this song?
    For example, like the sentence "voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?" (stupid example I know :) ).
    In France, and in a lot of countries I think, it make us think of the song, it is not just a sentence like that, chosen at random.

Is this sentence a clear reference to the song? And to which one (queen or the older one)?

Brioche

Australia English
    The music hall song is very well known, and I know of no other occurrence of the sequence "along the prom, prom, prom".

I'm sure that most people who heard the song in 1973 would have recognised the words which Freddy Mercury took straight from the music hall ditty,

< Previous | Next >