A student in/from/of Senior One

sevengem

Chinese
Which of the following sentencesmeans the same as"I am a Senior One student."?

1. I am a student in Senior One.
2. I am a student from Senior One.
3. I am a student of Senior One.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I agree, "in" is the correct word.

Thanks for explaining -- "senior one" is confusing, because I have never heard that before, and because in the US we use "senior" to mean the 4th year of high school.

In the US, the four years of (senior) high school have the same names as the four years of college:

- The "first year" or "freshman year". Students in that grade are called "freshmen".
    - The "second year" or "sophomore year". Students in that grade are called "sophomores".
    - The "third year" or "junior year". Students in that grade are called "juniors".
    - The "fourth year or "senior year". Students in that grade are called "seniors".

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Or you could say 'I'm a Senior 1 student/pupil'.

We have Secondary 1, Secondary 2 etc for the years in secondary school, and we say 'I'm a Sec 1 student'. (Elsewhere people might have Year 8, Grade 7, S2 and so on.)

Crossposted.

You'll probably be OK if you're talking to someone who knows the Chinese school system. Otherwise, you might need to 'translate' the terminology to one that is familiar to your hearer.

owlman5

English-US
    I've never heard anything like "from" or "of" in talk about the equivalent level in U.S. high schools: I'm in the tenth grade. I'm in my sophomore year. I'm a sophomore.

If "from" and "of" are rarely used, that usage is probably very rare. I don't think I'd trust the advice of any U.S. speaker who claimed that "I'm a student from/of the tenth grade" was an ordinary way to mention what grade you were in.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, the corresponding equivalent in BE for a UK school would be "I'm a student in Year 10". :)

There are limited contexts in which "from" would work, but I don't think "of" does.

It's always less confusing for the listener/reader if you say 'I'm 12 years old', rather than 'I'm in Senior One/10th Grade/Year 10', etc.

As you can see, the names of school years vary throughout the world, so why put people to the trouble of working out how old you are when you could just tell them?

Besides which, with the information shown above, you could be 11 going on 12.

< Previous | Next >