a successful actress

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by kmaro, Apr 15, 2009.

1. kmaro

kmaro Senior Member

London, UK
    Russian
    Hi,

Could someone, please, check my attempted translation of the following sentence:

Natasha Richardson was a successful actress and a member of Britain's most celebrated acting family, a dynasty that included her mother, Vanessa, and grandfather, Michael.

Natasha Richardson annesini Vanessa'yı ve büyük babasını Michael'i içeren hanedanin Britanya'nın en ünlü oyunculuk ailesinin üye ve başarılı bir oyuncudu.

2. nefika Senior Member

United States
    English
    Merhaba Kmaro,

Let's see what you have today :) I should start by confessing that your translation doesn't really make sense, but don't be discouraged. I am sure you will do it better next time (This is what I am told by my French instructor every day :p )

Let's divide the sentence:
    Natasha Richardson was a successful actress and a member of Britain's most celebrated acting family. --- Natasha Richardson başarılı bir oyuncu ve Britanya'nın en ünlü oyuncularından oluşan bir ailesinin üyesiydi.

a dynasty that included her mother, Vanessa, and grandfather, Michael. --- It is kind of awkward to say "hanedan" in this context. I will go with "aile" even though the original sentence uses "dynasty". I am trying to simplify for the sake of meaning :)

So, below is my version. I hope other friends will also take part in our translation process:

Natasha Richardson başarılı bir oyuncu olmasının yanı sıra, annesi Vanessa ile büyükbabası Michael'in de dahil olduğu, Britanya'nın en ünlü oyuncularından oluşan bir ailesinin üyesiydi.

iyi çalışmalar kmaro :)

3. kmaro

kmaro Senior Member

London, UK
    Russian
    Nefika thank you very much for your detailed explanation and translation.

4. nefika Senior Member

United States
    English
    oops! I just realized that I made a spelling mistake:

bir ailenin üyesidir...NOT bir ailesinin üyesidir.

sorry!