A suggestion

< Previous | Next >

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
There are 40 page of threads on "its/it's" & vice-versa, so I don't know where to suggest this, but: Isn't the easiest solution to write "it is/it has" in full instead of "it's" (when possible) to avoid confusion? (This is just a thought :); if it has already been made in one of the posts in those 40 threads -- but can one be reasonably supposed to read that many? -- it will of course be removed.)

Last edited:
  • DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I'm not sure how you got 40 results: when I searched for "its it's" I retrieved a page of about 20. But even that's too many. There is, as you say, no way of telling at a glance from those results which threads are asking about its, it is and/or it has. Part of the problem is that a lot of those old threads date from the days when we weren't as watchful about that sort of thing as we are now: if I saw a thread where someone had used its/it's as the title I'd alter it.

But to go back now and try and do anything with something like that is just impractical: unfortunately, we just don't have that sort of time. I forget what it was now, but I searched for something the other day and got well over a hundred results where people had used more or less the same title. :eek:

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I'm not sure how you got 40 results: when I searched for "its it's" I retrieved a page of about 20. But even that's too many. There is, as you say, no way of telling at a glance from those results which threads are asking about its, it is and/or it has. Part of the problem is that a lot of those old threads date from the days when we weren't as watchful about that sort of thing as we are now: if I saw a thread where someone had used its/it's as the title I'd alter it.

But to go back now and try and do anything with something like that is just impractical: unfortunately, we just don't have that sort of time. I forget what it was now, but I searched for something the other day and got well over a hundred results where people had used more or less the same title. :eek:
    I'm not suggesting you "go back and try to do anything with something like that"; it would indeed be impractical. But where (if at all :)!) do you think I should have posted my suggestion for reducing the possibility of confusion between "its" and "it's"?

Thanks!
    P. S., I got the same 40 pp of results when searching in this forum both for "its it's" and for "it's its".

Last edited:

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    In retrospect, I guess I should have written the title as

A suggestion for avoiding the possible confusion between "its" an "it's" when writing.

< Previous | Next >