a suit for pardon

< Previous | Next >

Slavianophil

Russian
Is the expression "a suit for pardon" all right in the following context?

"The procedure of making and consideration of a suit for pardon shall be established by the legislation.
A suit for pardon may be made by a person convicted to life imprisonment after he/she actually served twenty-four years of the appointed sanction..."

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    I haven't researched it and I have no special legal knowledge, but I always think of a 'plea for pardon', not a suit. It isn't a law suit in the usual sense, not in the UK anyway. :)
    Hermione

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Please be aware, Slavianophil, that legal English uses words in special, precise and particular ways that are not always the same as everyday English. For that reason, we always want to be sure that people realize that it is best to get an opinion from a legal professional and that they know that this forum is not a legal English forum.

Nunty, moderator

Slavianophil

Russian
    Hermione and Nunty, thanks a lot!

I do understand that in this case a legal professional would be a more adequate person to ask, but as I do not know any British legal professional, an opinion of a non-professional native speaker might be a second best.

< Previous | Next >