A surgical device to absorb bleeding

< Previous | Next >

Baba Ryba

Senior Member
Hi there,
I am translating a film that takes place in the hospital.
From Polish to English.
The doctor asks the nurse to give him a "maczak" - this is a Polish term. I cannot find it online.
It looks like clamp holding a cotton wool ball - this is to absorb the blood from the wound.
Any idea how to call this device in English?
  • Packard

    Senior Member
    USA, English
    Surgical sponges are used to absorb blood during surgery. And occasionally you read about one left in the body after the surgery is done. A bad thing to do.

    < Previous | Next >