a surprise package

< Previous | Next >

Yichen

Chinese
Hello everyone,

I was asked how to say this kind of people who look plain, easy to get on with, seldom talk about sex things before friends but in fact they're hot and sexy inside.
I heard of a phrase "a surprise package". Is it the right word? Could there be other ways to talk about such people?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Yichen.

I heard of a phrase "a surprise package".
    This is funny and I've never heard it before.

Could there be other ways to talk about such people?
    There are, but I like your version more than anything I can think of at the moment. You might have to explain what you mean by "surprise package"*, but I'll bet that other fluent speakers will like it too.

We have proverbs like "appearances are deceptive", "you can't judge a book by its cover", and "still waters run deep", but I don't think any of them is as good as "surprise package." I'll be interested to see if any other members like it as well as I do. Has anyone else heard the phrase used with this meaning before?

* In the right context, you wouldn't. Here's one possible context: When I went out with her for the first time, I thought she was shy. She turned out to be a surprise package.

Last edited:
    I agree that it's a funny expression, but I've never heard of it either, and I suspect most people have not.

So I think it's more of a question you'll definitely have to explain it, rather than you "might have to.":) (Or, at least be prepared to explain it. )

< Previous | Next >