a system of international standards

xrn

Spanish
Hi. There is a sentence which I'm supposed to translate into my own language but here's the thing: There is no context. I have been given different and seperate sentences and they all talk about something else. I know that understanding a sentence is all about context but in this case, honestly I have none. All I can say is that it's probably something to do with the European Union accreditation process. I always try to give comprehensive context in all my posts, please try and bear with me for once.

This is the sentence: (It's not even a complete sentence, as I now realize.)
"A system of international standards of arrangement, monitoring and sanction."
Now, do you think this means
"A system which includes/oversees the international standards on arrangement, monitoring and sanction."?
OR
"A system which includes arrangement, monitoring and sanction that are at international standards."
OR
"A system, which is at international standards, that includes arrangement, monitoring and sanction."
OR
Something else?

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Now, do you think this means
    "A system which includes/oversees the international standards on arrangement, monitoring and sanction."?
    No, (i) systems do not "oversee" things. (ii) Unless there is anything to say that the system also includes something else - and it does not say that it does - "includes" would be wrong.
    OR
    "A system which includes arrangement, monitoring and sanction that are at international standards."
    See above.
    OR
    Something else?
    Yes.
    "A system that comprises international standards of arrangement1, monitoring and sanction."

1In the language of the EU, "arrangement" often means "administration/management."

xrn

Spanish
    I'm sorry but I still don't get it.
    What's the difference between "A system that includes" and "A system that comprises"?
    Doesn't "comprise" mean "to involve/include"? Or am I horribly wrong?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The above includes odd numbers. Includes is partial.
    The above comprises the numbers 1 through 8. Comprise gives a totality.

If it helps, "consists of" might be better. :)

xrn

Spanish
    OK, I think I get it. Can I re-write it like this?
    "A system which is comprised of international standards of arrangement, monitoring and sanction."

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "A system of international standards of arrangement, monitoring and sanction."

This is a set of international standards. Here "system" just means "a set, a group, a bunch".

Standards are rules. These are rules about how to arrange X, monitor X and have sanctions for X.

There is no clue what X is. X could be "weapon-grade plutonium". X could be "debt payments for rice purchases".

kentix

English - U.S.
    I would reword it like this:

A system of arrangement, monitoring and sanction that meets international standards

< Previous | Next >