a table for two for eight o'clock

timlee43

English-Canada/US
I am attempting to say:
I would like to reserve a table for two for eight o'clock.

1. Ich möchte einen Tisch für zwei Personen um 8 Uhr reservieren, bitte. (?)
2. Ich möchte einen Tisch für zwei Personen ab 8 Uhr reservieren, bitte. (?)

After reading them over, neither seems right. I hope someone can help.
Thanks.

• lingpil

German & Russian
    Why not do it like in English? Ich möchte einen Tisch für zwei Personen und acht Uhr reservieren.

The both other propositions are indeed rather unusual. The first one (um) sounds as if you want to annouce that you're going to call the restaurant at 8 o'clock again in order to make the proper reservation. With regard to "ab" I don't like the incertitude about the duration of the reservation. It sounds a little bit like your dinner could go on forever.

timlee43

English-Canada/US
    Yes, and thanks lingpil.
    Ich möchte einen Tisch für acht Uhr reservieren had occurred to me, and it sounded best, but I thought it might be too literal. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

bearded

Two questions:
    1. would preposition 'auf' (also auf 8 Uhr) be really unsuitable ?
    2. I often hear 'reservieren lassen' instead of 'reservieren'. Does it mean that the actual booking is carried out by someone else (e.g. the restaurant owner) or is there no difference with regard to simple 'reservieren' ?
    Thank you.

lingpil

German & Russian
    1. I've never heard something like: Ich lasse mir einen Tisch auf 8 Uhr reservieren. Auf doesn't seem to fit here.
    2. In reality it's indeed the same. In the sentence "Ich reserviere einen Tisch für 8 Uhr." that's me who makes the call and the reservation, in "Ich lasse mir einen Tisch reservieren." I make clear that it's the restaurant or the hotel that makes the reservation, but following my wishes. At the end of the day it means the same, just with different acting people but with the same result.

< Previous | Next >