a take on the traditionally dry language programmes

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by singformesingforyou, Oct 11, 2016.

1. singformesingforyou Senior Member

glasgow
    english
    Hi there,

I am writing a tv show that used to be on BBC and I want to say the programme was a take on the traditionally dry language shows by the BBC.

Il programma era una versione sui programme linguistiche tradizionalemente caustici prodotto da BBC.

Does this have any meaning?

Thanks

2. AlabamaBoy

AlabamaBoy Senior Member

Northern Colorado USA
    American English
    By "dry" do you really mean sarcastic humor, or do you mean "boring" (noiosi, monotoni)?

3. johngiovanni

johngiovanni Senior Member

Era / Rappresentava una nuova partenza per il BBC, un'interpretazione insolita ed originale dei / , tutto un'atro cosa rispetto ai loro consueti programmi televisivi per l'apprendimento di lingue straniere che erano fin troppo spesso repetitivi e noiosamente didattici.

4. singformesingforyou Senior Member

glasgow
    english
    Yeah, I mean as in a dry sense of humour

5. tsoapm

tsoapm Senior Member

Le Marche, Italy
    English (England)
    :confused: The BBC traditionally has language shows that employ a dry sense of humour, sarcastic even? I can’t say that I’d noticed.

6. singformesingforyou Senior Member

glasgow
    english
    I am talking about a show that was on in the 90's

7. tsoapm

tsoapm Senior Member

Le Marche, Italy
    English (England)
    But was that show dry, or was the typical BBC output dry? It sounds like you’re saying the latter to me.

8. johngiovanni

johngiovanni Senior Member

In your context "dry" means something like "boring, dully factual, uninteresting".
    It has nothing to do with a dry sense of humour.
    "Take" means "perspective", "interpretation".
    I wasn't sure from the context whether the programme was just a slightly different interpretation of the usual output, or whether it was something refreshingly different.

Are you writing a TV show or writing about a TV show, and is "a take on" your own expression? If so, what do you want to say about it?
    Do you think BBC language programmes used a dry sense of humour? If so, then you would need to refer to "sense of humour" in the English version and "senso di umorismo", perhaps, in the Italian translation.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  9. MR1492

MR1492 Senior Member

Newport News, Virginia
    English -USA
    Of course it has a meaning. However, it is possible it does not mean what you think it means! (to paraphrase Inigo Montoya) :) Some context would really, really help in this one.

Phil

10. tsoapm

tsoapm Senior Member

Le Marche, Italy
    English (England)
    That’s what I would have said too, @johngiovanni , only @singformesingforyou is a native English speaker too, and only she knows what she wants to say.

11. Pietruzzo Senior Member

Salento (Italy)
    Italian
    Il programma si rifaceva alla tradizione umoristica delle trasmissioni linguistiche della BBC.
    Any closer to what you "want to say"?