a tall, <fair> man with lion-like hair and beard

• vkhu

Vietnamese
    That's strange. I've only heard of fair being applied to skin before. Should I assume every character described as "fair" as having blond hair (if there's no furrther clarification)?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Should I assume every character described as "fair" as having blond hair (if there's no further clarification)?
    No, the meaning of "fair" will vary with the context.

The man I spoke to said he was Italian but he was unusually fair and did not look typically Italian. (Fair: light skin, blond hair)

The Italian judge was unusually fair and took a lot of trouble to make a decision that would suit both parties. (fair = just; balanced in his judgement)

Last edited:

AnythingGoes

English - USA (Midwest/Appalachia)
    That's strange. I've only heard of fair being applied to skin before. Should I assume every character described as "fair" as having blond hair (if there's no furrther clarification)?
    Not necessarily, but European people with a fair complexion usually have light-colored hair, most commonly blond or red.

lingobingo

English - England
    Fair means pale rather than dark and can be used of skin and/or hair (including eyelashes, eyebrows, moustaches, etc.).

Its use as pretty/beautiful — as in “a fair maiden” — is pretty-much obsolete.

< Previous | Next >