a teacher corrects a student's written work

< Previous | Next >

Ume

Banned
Japanese
correct
3. if a teacher corrects a student's written work, he or she writes marks on it to show the mistakes in it

A student's written work such as an essay, composition, or something like that?
If a teacher corrects a student's written work, does he circle "an" in "This is an camera" but doesn't he give a correct word?

• Starfrown

English - US
    correct
    3. if a teacher corrects a student's written work, he or she writes marks on it to show the mistakes in it
    Is "a student's written work" an essay, composition, or something like that?
    If a teacher corrects a student's written work, does he circle "an" in "This is an camera" without giving the correct word?
    Firstly, I would say that any work a student writes may be corrected.

Secondly, I would not consider it a correction unless you gave the appropriate word(s) in place of the mistake.

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    Just putting a ring around "an" and marking it with a cross to indicate that it is wrong would usually be "marking the student's work", for example if the student has written an essay for an exam. The marked essay would probably be covered in ticks and crosses with a score or percentage indicated, but wouldn't contain corrections.

If, on the other hand, the teacher is looking through the work and indicating what has been done incorrectly, then I would use say the teacher is "correctingthe student's work."

At first I didn't see a difference but it became clear once I thought about it for a moment!

< Previous | Next >