a tease, with just enough edge...

dichelson

Italy/Italian
Hello: I have two questions concerning the following passage:

"Steve had known Evelyn long before she'd fallen for Cliff. She was a longtime friend, a kid sister, a tease, with just enough edge to make her perfect for a guy like Cliff"

First of all, does "tease" here mean something like "coquette". I'm a bit puzzled, because if this is the case it seems to me that that word doesn't sound well together with "longtime friend" and "kid sister".

My second question is about "edge". Does it mean she had just something more, just a slight advantage over Cliff in some respects? Thank you guys

• Cathy Rose

United States English
    I agree, Dichelson. I think here, "tease" has no sexual implication, but simply means that she was a kind of imp. I think that "edge," in the sense that it's being used here, means that she was just a little bit of a rebel, a person who doesn't always follow the rules. "Just enough" implies that she wasn't a big rule-breaker, but probably had her own ideas about how life should be lived.

dichelson

Italy/Italian
    << Moderator's note: second thread on same topic has been joined to the first. >>

Hello: in the following passage I'm not sure about the meanings of "tease" and "edge":

"She was more than just an in-law. Steve had known Evelyn long before she'd fallen for Cliff. He'd even dated her a few times himself. She was a longtime friend, a kid sister, a tease, with just enough edge to make her perfect for a guy like Cliff".

Given the context, I would exclude that "tease" here means "coquette". Instead, I would read the passage as follows: "she was an imp, with just that little bit of transgression that made her perfect for a guy like Cliff". Do you agree? Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

RiseAgainst

US
    English
    I believe by tease the author means something sexual. like, "she teases him by kissing his chest."

and by edge, I think the author means cunning. Smart. Enough brains.

Do you understand?

dichelson

Italy/Italian
    I disagree. I think that there are no sexual implications here. You can't associate something like that with "a longtime friend" and "a kid sister". As for the "edge" it can be transrgression, it can be intelligence, it can be just a little bit of "something" indefinite.

RiseAgainst

US
    English
    In American culture you can associate a long-time friend with sexual implications. And a kid-sister is just someone of which one is very close to, but not emotionally romantic. He may not mean tease as sexual, but he does mean tease literally. He is trying to convey that she has a flirty personality, she's very cryptic.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    She was Steve's sister-in-law. Does that mean that Cliff, the man she was married to, is Steve's brother?

dichelson

Italy/Italian
    In American culture you can associate a long-time friend with sexual implications. And a kid-sister is just someone of which one is very close to, but not emotionally romantic. He may not mean tease as sexual, but he does mean tease literally. He is trying to convey that she has a flirty personality, she's very cryptic.

Yes, that's why I was saying she is an imp, she's not a perfect "good girl". Concerning the "edge", in principle you are right, it might be intelligence. We don't know what it is, and maybe it's something not straightforward to define. Do you agree?

dichelson

Italy/Italian
    It's probably important to add that the author explicitly says elsewhere that Cliff was a little imp.

Cagey

English - US
    Yes. What do you think about "edge" and "tease"?
    I think you are right.

If there is a sexual element to the teasing it has to be very clearly marked as playing. A certain kind of joking or mocking flirtation with your brother's wife might be acceptable. (I think that may be what RiseAgain is talking about.) However any undercurrent of real engagement would be a major and unforgivable transgression. I think that Americans both in real life and in fiction would tend to be extremely touchy about even the slightest hint of real attraction in such a relationship.

dichelson

Italy/Italian
    Cagey, do you also agree about "edge"?

PS: just go up a little bit. I added something about the "imp" which might be important. You were probably typing while I did.

Cagey

English - US
    Cagey, do you also agree about "edge"?

PS: just go up a little bit. I added something about the "imp" which might be important. You were probably typing while I did.
    Yes, I do. I didn't mention this because it seemed to me that you have it right. She has a transgressive intelligence (or some variant way of saying that she has both these qualities) that make her a good match for Cliff.

I had noticed the imp comment. I can easily imagine an American couple like this, and how they would get along well.

dichelson

Italy/Italian
    Yeah, I did it! I'm going to write it here, even though you probably won't be able to understand it:

"una peperina, con quel tocco in più che la rendeva ideale per un tipo come Cliff".

< Previous | Next >