a tema natalizio

JeiiMelaR

Italian
Hi everyone!

I have to translate the following sentence: "Si inizia il 26 dicembre all’ora dell’aperitivo con il gruppo X, che si esibirà in un repertorio di canzoni a tema natalizio".

My attempt: The Festival will kick off in the late afternoon of 26 December with the group X, who will perform a series of revised Christmas songs.

Christmas songs seem to me the traditional ones, so I was thinking of adding "revised" to convey "a tema", rather than "dedicated / inspired to Christmas". I don't like the word "repertoire", I feel it doesn't fit in this sentence (maybe it's an Italian feeling).

Can revised be ok? Do you suggest a translation for "a tema", or in general a better translation?
Thank you.

• boysenberryjam

English - North American
    I would say that Christmas carols are the traditional songs, whereas Christmas (or holiday) songs includes everything from carols to Mariah Carey.
    Revised doesn't really work, in my opinion.

WR-addict

Italian Tuscany
    I would say that Christmas carols are the traditional songs, whereas Christmas (or holiday) songs includes everything from carols to Mariah Carey.
    Revised doesn't really work, in my opinion.
    Hi boysenberryjam,
    Do you think “mash-up and covers of Christmas songs” would be ok?

rrose17

Canada, English
    I think it could be even more literal as in "Christmas-themed songs". Just to add that I know you covered this in another thread but what Italians call late afternoon English speakers might refer to as early evening. :) So as an alternative you might try
    The Festival will launch early in the evening of 26 December with the group X, drawing from a repertory of Christmas-themed songs.

boysenberryjam

English - North American
    As always, rrose is spot on. :thumbsup:

Hi boysenberryjam,
    Do you think “mash-up and covers of Christmas songs” would be ok?
    Mash up is something quite specific, it's mixing multiple songs into a single track. Cover isn't wrong, but it's a bit superfluous when talking about Christmas music because I don't think many musicians write original holiday music!

theartichoke

English - Canada
    "...a repertory of seasonal music" is also something you hear quite a bit. The "season" is always Christmas. :)

< Previous | Next >